It is 50 years since Hugh was in the middle of the Vietnam War. While some in the book industry say “books have the shelf life of yoghurt”, Hugh’s Vietnam: A Reporter’s War is now published by HarperCollins. This memoir of 1967-68 covering the Vietnam War as a Reuters war correspondent took 17 years to find a publisher — University of Queensland Press — but has never been out of print since. It has had four publishers in Australia and two in New York. Hugh’s recollections of Saigon’s famous Continental Hotel; the Tet Offensive; and the battle for Hue have inspired many readers to travel Vietnam with his book as their guide to where it all happened in the long war.
Never out of print 2017
- Remember when Aussie tennis players made a racket for all the right reasons? February 26, 2019
- Winner announced 4 April 2016 January 26, 2016
- Never out of print 2017 May 8, 2016
- Ross Livermore Lecture – The Origin of THE Origin July 13, 2016
- 50 Years Since The Day the War Was Lost April 3, 2018